Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Freeway Miracle

I should have a picture to go along with this, but I don't and I'm kicking myself because I had my camera with me, right there on the front seat of my car. Dumb.

I was headed home from my cousin Stacie's house. I had just gotten on I-15 from Bangater, I was in the middle lane and a car on my right was going into my lane a little bit because there was a piece of shredded tire in that lane. Well, the car went over the tire without running over it with the tires and when I got to it, I look ... and it's not a piece of tire, but a tiny baby kitten that was alive! I was instantly sick. I was not going to look in my mirror, for I did not want to see it get squished. I am such a softy - it's bad. I finally did look when I got far enough away, and I saw that it made it to the side of the freeway and was trying to jump over the cement barrier. Gosh, I was sad and sick about it. I kept driving. Two exits later I decided I was going to go and find the kitten and rescue it. I got off and turned around. I didn't remember where I had seen it. I got back on the freeway and kept my eyes open looking for this little kitten. I found it! It was alive, trying to get down a drain that had water below. I was talking to it as I picked it up, and then it freaked out. I was not letting go for anything, for I knew if that cat got out of my grasp, it would run into traffic and be killed. So, I kept a strong hold on it and grabbed it by the neck and took it to my car. Once in the car I got a closer look at the poor thing. It was shaking, panting, dehydrated, filthy and it's eyes were glazed over. It was not reacting to anything. I had Reese's bottle of milk there and started squirting it into it's mouth. It responded and drank for a long, long time. I held it on my lap and drove to the office where my mother was. I picked her up to go to the Humane Society with me. I couldn't do a scared kitten and two kids. So we went and dropped it off there. Poor little thing. I felt so bad for it, and it was very hard for me to leave it there and not be the one to take care of it myself. That is a huge step for me. However, had I brought another cat home (we have 3 already) my husband probably would've left me :o)

No comments: