Thursday, August 7, 2008

No Toys = Death


Ben had been having a hard time listening yesterday and today. I was having to ask him 5 or 6 times to do something, and he still wouldn't do it. He wasn't being naughty and refusing to do it ... just not listening. I needed to go to Target to pick up a few things for dinner tonight (see older post "Lasagna-y Goodness"). I told Ben that he could not get a treat or a toy because he had not been listening. This conversation went on for what seemed an hour, when realistically it was probably 20-30 minutes as we drove to the store and the kids ate Carl's Jr. in the parking lot before we went in to Target. There were a lot of tears and begging and pleading. Sobbing, he finally said "Mom! I have to have a toy ... or ... or ... or I will die!!" And the sobbing continued. I reassured him that he would not die, but he said he really would. Result: Mom held strong to what she said and we left without toys or candy. Ben was awesome in the store & such a good listener. I will be working on a permanent chart that will be on our fridge for good listening. I will post it when complete.
*Picture was taken today after we got home from Target. He was pretty happy, but I told him that for this post I needed a grumpy face. It was so funny to try and watch him be grumpy for a picture. He would laugh and laugh and then try again. Both kids are now asleep! *

1 comment:

sprmom said...

Way to stick to your guns, you are an awesome mom. Hey how does this friday the 15th work for a bbq?